A high performance data standard is transforming the travel industry: The Open Travel Data Standard OTDS facilitates travel offers performing on highest data quality levels into the travel sales channels. The modern XML standard accelerates and specifies the production of travel offers while at the same time delivering significantly more booking relevant details and number of data records.
The travellers benefit from a comprehensive and meaningful travel offer matching their search terms which in addition can be narrowed down to their individual whishes via filters. Last but not least reliable pricings and availability declarations ease the way to booking conversion.
OTDS stands for the Open Travel Data Standard – a powerful data format developed from experts within the travel industry to serve the branch. All interested market player may use the format and its extensive documentation free of charge.
The XML-format OTDS contains all master data of the included travel components as well as all necessary product and pricing rules. Travel providers may use OTDS to distribute their offer into all sales channels, whether it be to travel agencies or to travel websites.
The Open Travel Data Standard OTDS is published by the OTDS association (OTDS e.V.) in Berlin, Germany. The members of the association represent almost every branch of the travel industry and join forces to continuously refine and extend the data format OTDS.
Via the committees of the association each member is actively involved in the decision-making process and into the development roadmap and realisation. The joint future development of OTDS and the communication between the members takes places within the exclusive internet-based member’s forum.
For accessing the OTDS-Forum with the OTDS Schema and the documentation, please register here free of charge.
News & Events
Along with the start of the new year, the OTDS format is also renewed: On January 15, 2019, version 2.1 was released. This bugfix version is largely downward compatible to the main version 2.0 except for a correction of one bug. OTDS 2.1 including its updated specification is now available on the Wiki page of the OTDS Forum. The only requirement for accessing the forum is a one-time, free registration in the upper part of this website. Among the most important new features of this version are: Revision BookingNameSpace @Class for Properties >Extension of the update option for tags >Simplification of […]
The OTDS e.V. experiences a strong growth in membership numbers and users in recent months. On 1st September four more companies joined the association: the tour operators vtours and Adrialin Blue as well as the travel technology specialists a-five and TourOne Systems. Oliver Rengelshausen, Chairman of OTDS e.V., sees two reasons for the positive development: “On the one hand, many industry participants are realising that OTDS has established itself as a standard that benefits everyone. On the other hand, the OTDS Association modified its membership-fee model at the beginning of the year: The fee is now linked to the size […]
Strengths of OTDS - The data format OTDS is designed to improve the transmission of provider’s product data such as tour operators, airlines, rental car companies, or other supplier to the distribution systems that process those data for the use in travel search tools used in travel agencies or in travel website booking engines.
The leading distribution systems in the German market already interpret and process OTDS. By doing so, the optimized data are available within their frontoffice tools for travel agencies as well as in their internet booking engines. The tour operator webpages also can be equipped with the enhanced OTDS-data, so that customers searching for travel offers in travel agencies or in the internet can rely on meaningful offers with reliable pricing and availability information and including add-on services. The OTDS format allows for significantly more details, options, room- and flight alternatives.
Families can rely on the total price of a trip when transmitted with OTDS from the very first display on. Price corrections resulting from booking requests are omitted thanks to reliable adult- and children prices and explicit rules for the price calculation in dynamically packaged travel offers.
The travel industry works with a large number of data formats. Those formats help to display the countless travel offers of tour operators and other provider that reach the consumer via various distribution channels. All information about a trip are being processed so that the IT systems within the distribution chain can depict those data.
But the travel wishes of the consumer today are much more individual than ten years ago – the travel offers have to meet this change. And also tour operators and other supplier, online portals and travel agencies expect more from the technology they use. Legacy data formats today cannot fulfill those expectations anymore.
So far provider in the travel industry had to translate their travel offers into several data formats in order to supply the various distribution channels. In spite of the many formats the provider often did not succeed in highlighting their specific competitive advantages: the one format lacks a space for submitting taxi transfers, the other format cannot deal with child price reductions or specific child care offers.
So a new, common, open format was needed that delivers all relevant information regarding a travel offer into all distribution channels. This is precisely the intention of OTDS. At the same time it shall reflect the requirements of as many market player as possible and refine itself as an open data format. Thanks to the cost-free download at this website OTDS is freely accessible to all interested travel organisations and thus can establish itself as the future market standard.
OTDS versions - OTDS 1.0 was published by the OTDS association in April 2012. Within this first basic version the travel components accomodation, flight, packaged travel and add-on services such as transfer, rental car, parking, insurances etc. together with all the implicated product- and pricing rules already could be represented.
Version OTDS 1.9.3 provided comprehensive options for flight prioritisation and rules for rounding monetary amounts. Together with the multi-currency option and further diversified possibilities for rental cars and insurances those criteria meet the requirements of many tour operator regarding an efficient and extensive display of their travel products in the distribution systems.
With the main version 2.0, non-bookable content elements such as descriptive texts and media content as well as the ability for multilingualism were integrated. Thanks to the introduction of the Compare construct, product components can be combined much more flexibly under predefined conditions. The Accomodation-, Flight- and AddonWrapper allow the mapping of a sequence of flights and several hotels with rooms, meals and durations - an important basis for round trips in OTDS.
The current bugfix version OTDS 2.1 as new features among others offers a revision of the BookingNameSpace, introduces @Class to properties and extends the update option for tags.
OTDS in Use
A continuously rising number of provider from various areas of the travel industry use OTDS in order to fuel their travel offers to their customers quickly and reliably.
Distribution channels and systems can feed on an extensive variety of travel offer data delivered in the up-to-date OTDS format for travel agency tools and Internet Booking Engines:
“OTDS: a flexible and living standard, that optimally displays the enormous product diversity of dozens of WBS-tour operators – without converter or third parties. Highest performance in terms of quality and quantity!”
“OTDS is just fun”
Hotel-only, Package travel and flight data in OTDS
The following provider deliver their portfolio of offers in OTDS already, provide it via an OTDS-Player or intensely work on conversion projects:
- 5 vor Flug (Hotel-only live in Traffics and Traveltainment)
- Adrialin (Hotel-only and packaged trips live in Traveltainment)
- Aldiana (Hotel-only and packaged trips in OTDS-Player)
- Alltours (Hotel-only live in Traveltainment)
- anixe (bedbank, Hotel-only data-delivery)
- Attika Reisen (Hotel-only and packaged trips live in Traveltainment)
- Bentour Reisen (Hotel-only, packaged trips, and BENX live in Traveltainment, Hotel-only live in Schmetterling, OTDS-data in Travel-IT via requests to Player, corporate website IBE with OTDS-data)
- BigXtra (entire portfolio live in Traveltainment, Hotel-only and Datamix live in Traffics, Hotel-only live in Schmetterling, corporate website IBE with OTDS-data)
- Coral Travel (Hotel-only and Packaged trips live in Traveltainment)
- ETI (Hotel-only, packaged trips and dynamic packaging live in Traveltainment)
- FTI Touristik (entire offering live in Traveltainment and Schmetterling as well as available in OTDS-Player, Hotel-only live in Traffics)
- H & H Touristik (dynamic hotels in OTDS-Player)
- Luxair Tours (entire offering live in Traveltainment)
- Olimar (Hotel-only and packaged trips live in Traveltainment, Hotel-only live in Schmetterling and Traffics)
- Phoenix (Hotel-only and Packaged trips live in Traveltainment)
- Schauinsland-Reisen (entire offering live in Traveltainment, Hotel-only and SLRD live in Schmetterling, Hotel-only live in Traffics, entire portfolio available on OTDS-Player)
- Sunny Cars (rental car offers in Travelbird and Traffics)
- Sonnenklar-TV (Hotel-only and packaged trips live in Traveltainment)
- Travel Partner (Hotel-only also in combination with Addon-Services)
- TUI (TUI Germany/Switzerland, Airtours DE/CH, 1-2-Fly DE/CH, Gulet, Terra Reisen, XTUI, XFly: entire offering live in Traffics, and Traveltainment, approval pending in Schmetterling)
- Windrose Finest Travel (Hotel-only and packaged trips live in Traveltainment)
Flight content in the OTDS format is provided by the travel technology solution providers of Bewotec via its Flex Flight Player (click here for Bewotec airline list), SoftConEx, and Ypsilon.net (click here for Ypsilon airline list).
OTDS Association – 7 good reasons for membership
- Active participation in the further development of OTDS
- Intensive support and support
- Introduce your own requirements
- Influence on the development of the club
- Information and exchange in the OTDS member forum
- Image effects and public impact
- The ideal factor
Become a Member or Supporter
Here you can request non-binding information about a membership or on becoming a supporter: